Refugee School Impact: Offers academic and socio-emotional support to refugee school-aged children, ages 5-18. The Refugee School Impact Program offers homework assistance and English language support through an After-School Tutoring Program and Summer Programming. The program addresses significant barriers refugee students face adjusting to school and the community upon arrival to the United States. Our goal is to improve refugee students' school performance and enhance their socio-cultural skills.
Tutor Volunteer Duties
- Volunteers will serve as tutors for the after-school program, in-person and or online. We also offer a summer program for school-aged newcomer children to prepare them for the American school system.
- Tutors will work with students one-on-one or in a small group setting.
- Tutors will help students complete their homework, practice reading, and play games with students.
- Tutors will also engage students; with meaningful enrichment activities and offer support and guidance with resources, technology, and expertise.
- Tutors will help set up and clean up after each session.
- Tutors are required to wear a face mask at all times.
What skill sets will you enhance while volunteering?
Ø Working with children
Ø Time Management Skills
Ø Organizational Skills
Ø Working in a diverse cultural setting
Ø Communication Skills,
Ø Critical Thinking Skills
Before volunteering, all volunteers above 18 will need to complete a background check and 3 online OVASE trainings. The trainings will take about 2 hours to complete, but after completion, volunteers will be cleared for 3 years. When you sign up to volunteer at an event, you will be approved to volunteer when all pieces have been completed. The clearance can take 2-3 weeks, so please plan accordingly.
Your background check is included in your Catholic Charities volunteer application through Givepulse. You can also access it here: https://ccaosa.givepulse.com/group/membership/9056?k=730eca4016c7a67034abc15480bd84a6. The volunteer registration also includes directions on how to complete the OVASE training.
Once you are approved, you will receive an email with the exact location and additional information about the tutoring sites.
*For the safety of our students, we will send you the address and specific location information for the tutoring program after you are approved and cleared.
*For the student's protection, please refrain from taking pictures
of students while volunteering.